Connect with us:
Equity Bank Limited - Rwanda is one of the commercial banks licensed by the National Bank of Rwanda, the country’s banking regulator.
The Bank commenced its operations in October 2011 with branches in Kigali, Rubavu, Musanze and Muhanga. Currently, the bank has eight branches in operation:
- Kigali Branch
Equity Bank Limited - Rwanda is a member of the Equity Bank Group, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya which maintains financial services subsidiaries in Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Rwanda.
Some of the recent accolades and recognitions that Equity Bank Limited has received include;
April 2013: Equity Bank was voted Best Bank in Kenya at the Think Business Banking Awards 2013. The Bank emerged tops ahead of 42 other banks for the second year running. The top award came on the strength of regional reach, strong brand pull and innovation.
April 2013: Equity Bank was named Best Bank in Kenya Tier 1 (banks with an asset base exceeding Ksh 150 billion) at the annual Banking Awards 2013. The Bank currently has a sturdy asset base of over Ksh 252 billion.
April 2013: Equity Bank’s focus on affordability and inclusivity was recognized with the Bank with Lowest Charges award at the Banking Awards 2013.
April 2013: Equity Bank was voted the best bank in Kenya in terms of customer deposits amongst banks with a deposit base of over Ksh 75 billion in a recent survey on the performance of Kenyan banks released by accounting and consulting firm RSM Ashvir.
- June, 2012: Equity Bank CEO and Managing Director Dr. James Mwangi was named 2012 Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur of the Year at a ceremony held in Monte Carlo, Monaco. Dr Mwangi was picked from among the 59 country finalists shortlisted for the title across 51 countries, becoming the first business leader from Sub Saharan Africa to win this prestigious award.
- June 2012: Equity Bank was awarded Best Managed Company in Africa award by EuroMoney magazine. The Bank won the award on a strong brand pull, regional footprint and corporate governance, based on a survey of market analysts at leading banks and research institutes in Africa.
- June 2012: Equity Bank was awarded the Most Innovative Bank in Africa Award at the African Bankers Awards held in Arusha, Tanzania. The annual awards reward outstanding talent and achievement in Africa's financial sector.
- May 2012: Equity Bank was named Best Bank in Kenya at the Banking Awards 2012, while also receiving the Best Bank (Tier 1) and the Best Bank in Microfinance awards at the same event.
- September 2011: Equity Bank Group was listed as one of the 16 global emerging Markets New Sustainability Champions by a World Economic Forum Report in 2011. Equity Bank Group was recognized as the only financial service provider in the Emerging markets which meets the threshold of sustainability based on a criteria covering, innovation, growth and corporate sustainability.
- Sept 2011: Africa Investor named Equity CEO Dr. James Mwangi as the African Banker of the year for the second year in a row.
- Sept 2011: Africa Investor named Equity Bank as the Best Initiative in Support of SMEs and the Millennium Development Goals.
- 2010: Africa investor named Equity Bank as the Ai 40 Company of the Year.
- 2010: The Financial Times named Equity CEO Dr. James Mwangi among the 50 emerging market business leaders in BRIC countries - Brazil, Russia, India and China - and other emerging market economies - who have shaped the economic performance of their respective regions. The Financial Times recognized Dr Mwangi for transforming the lives of many people in Kenya including house helps and low income earners who have been able to borrow as little as Kshs 500 from the Bank.
- In June 2009 Equity Bank was named the Emerging Markets Most Sustainable Bank of the Year in Africa and the Middle East.
- Equity Bank is the holder of the 2007 Global Vision Award in Microfinance "for initiating a concept of the future that will shape the Global Economy".
Equity offers financial services through its wide network of branches in Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Rwanda and Tanzania (clickable links to branches in all the countries) supported by Alternate Delivery Channels which include:
- Visa Branded ATMs
- Points of Sale (POS) where customers shop; pay and withdraw cash in leading retail outlets.
- Internet and mobile banking channels The Bank runs on a Global Robust State of the Art Information Technology Computer System supported by Infosys, HP, Oracle and Microsoft.
- Agency Outlets
As a Bank, we are guided by the following Core Values which we uphold in all the activities we undertake. These are:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Unity of purpose
- Respect and dedication to customer care
- Effective Corporate Governance